It should come as no surprise that Harley Pasternak, trainer of celeb beauties like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Hilary Duff, is on to something.
My muscles are yelling at me right now.
Here’s how the conversation went this morning:
Glutes: Ow. Why so sore? We just carried you through a marathon without a hint of residual pain.
Triceps: We support you when you’re throwing yourself on scaffolding and monkey bars to do pull ups. How could 10 lbs of weight create this much pain?
Me: Two words - Harley. Pasternak.
In celebration of FITNESS Magazine’s 20th Anniversary, Harley Pasternak conducted a circuit-style training class at Crunch Fitness. Admittedly, I was skeptical that this class would be difficult. From marathons to Crossfit to Physique 57 to Soul Cycle, I like to think I can hang in the fitness game. Harley’s class left me sorer than any training session in the last 6 months.
- Cardio warm up of jumping jacks, jogging, side shuffles, and boxing
- 50 plie lunges (glute killer)
- 50 tricep kick backs on a mat holding 5-10 lb dumbbells
- 50 forward and reverse lunges keeping the left leg stationary and pushing forward and back with the right foot (first time doing these and EFFECTIVE at working both sides)
- 40 tricep kick backs on a mat holding 5-10 lb dumbbells
- 50 crunches with legs at 90 degrees
- 50 jump squats
- 30 tricep kick backs on a mat holding 5-10 lb dumbbells
- 50 superman planks right shin to right tricep/left shin to left tricep (alternating sides)
- Cardio warm down of jumping jacks, jogging, side shuffles, and boxing
1. Short. Tough. Basic. Effective.
Harley reminded us that the harder you work in each movement, the less amount of time you’ll need to spend working out. How many people waste hours on an elliptical or doing half-assed workouts on equipment?
Harley’s circuit was a combination of cardio and basic plyometric movements with enough reps to fatigue muscles yet allow recovery by alternating muscle groups - in just 30 minutes.
2. Plie lunges are clearly the summer jump off.
Harley thinks they are the most effective glute exercise. He also noted that lunges are a great way to workout muscle imbalances had my most wherein one leg is stronger and overcompensates for the weaker leg.
Check out this video of how to do a plie lunge.
3. The cure for HANGRY (Hunger induced Anger) is 5 Factor Snack Bars
Sometimes an active lady gets hangry. You’re running around, your metabolism is in overdrive post-workout, and you just need something to eat. Like 10 minutes ago. My search for a good protein bar has made me feel like Goldilocks in search of the perfect porridge. Most protein bars are glorified candy with as much 25 grams of sugar and loaded with crap.
These 5 Factor Snack Bars are the answer to my hangry prayers. The 170-calorie darlings taste delish, have 11 grams of protein, only 9 grams of sugar, and made with real ingredients like beet juice! My friend, Ariel Fixler, is fighting cancer and these bars are the first solid food she had at the Mayo Clinic. For real.
They are part of Harley’s 5 Factor Diet, which focuses on 5 key ingredients of protein, fiber, healthy carbs, a healthy fat, and a sugar-free beverage at every meal. Read more about it here.
Thanks Harley, FITNESS, and Crunch for putting on this sweat-worthy birthday party! And even bigger thanks to triathlathon queen, Jenna Autuori, for letting a sis partake.